Get ready for an adventure in the kitchen as we learn how to make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie from scratch. In this recipe, I’ll show you step-by-step how to make this tasty British dish, so you can enjoy the real flavors and smells right in your own kitchen.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Medium
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is a British Dessert. It is one of the prominent desserts of British Cuisine. You will love this recipe.
- For the filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup green peas
1 cup corn kernels
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- For the mashed potatoes
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup vegan butter or olive oil
1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced carrots and celery to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes until they release their moisture and start to brown.
- Stir in the green peas, corn kernels, diced tomatoes (including the liquid), tomato paste, soy sauce or tamari, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mashed potatoes. Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the vegan butter or olive oil, plant-based milk, salt, and pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the vegetable filling to a 9×13-inch baking dish and spread it evenly. Top the filling with the mashed potatoes, spreading them out to cover the entire surface. Use a fork to create decorative lines or patterns on the mashed potatoes.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes turn golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Remove the Shepherd’s Pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie warm and enjoy!
- You can change the taste of this recipe by adding more spices or a splash of lemon juice for a sour twist.
Total Time to Make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
The total time for this recipe is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. This includes both the preparation time and the cooking or baking time. During the preparation time, you will be gathering and prepping the ingredients, such as chopping vegetables and making the filling. Once the preparation is complete, the dish is baked in the oven for about 1 hour until the mashed potato topping is golden brown and the filling is cooked through. While the total time may seem a bit long, the delicious flavors and comforting aromas of this tasty pie make it well worth the effort.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
➤ Show Full Nutrition Label
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories350
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0g 0%
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 600mg 25%
- Potassium 0mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 10g 20%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Dietary Information for Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Feel free to get creative with the vegetable filling of this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie recipe! You can add your favorite seasonal vegetables or incorporate different herbs and spices to customize the flavors to your liking. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own. The beauty of this dish lies in its versatility, so have fun and enjoy the process of creating a delicious and comforting vegan meal for yourself and your loved ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie pairs well with a side of fresh greens or a simple salad to add a crisp and refreshing element to the meal. You can also serve it with tangy cranberry sauce for a burst of flavor, roasted vegetables for added texture, or a side of vegan gravy or sauce for extra indulgence.
You can use a variety of vegetables in Vegan Shepherd’s Pie. Some popular choices include onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, peas, corn, and bell peppers. However, feel free to experiment and add your favorite vegetables based on personal preference and seasonal availability.
Yes, you can freeze Vegan Shepherd’s Pie for longer-term storage. Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container or wrapping it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Properly stored, it can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Typically, Shepherd’s Pie includes a medley of vegetables such as onions, carrots, and peas. However, you can customize the vegetable filling to suit your taste. Other commonly used vegetables in Shepherd’s Pie include celery, mushrooms, corn, bell peppers, and even diced tomatoes.
Absolutely! While mashed potatoes are the traditional topping for Shepherd’s Pie, you can get creative and use alternative toppings. For a lighter option, you can try mashed cauliflower or a combination of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.
Yes, this pie is a great dish to make ahead of time. You can assemble the pie, cover it tightly with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before baking.
In conclusion, Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious twist on traditional comfort food. It is a tasty and filling choice for vegans and others who want to eat more plant-based meals. This dish is a crowd-pleaser that can be eaten at any time of the year. So, get your hands dirty, gather your best vegetables, and go on a culinary adventure to make this tasty and kind meal.