In medieval Europe, cooks originated baked chicken breast. They would roast the chicken in wood-fired ovens, a method involving placing the chicken on a spit and slowly rotating it over an open flame.
Over time, this technique refined and evolved into baking. Instead of roasting on a spit, cooks placed the chicken in a closed oven and employed dry heat for cooking. This process is sealed in moisture and chicken flavor, resulting in a tender, juicy dish.
Today, baked chicken breast stands as a popular, healthy meal choice. It’s a versatile dish, allowing various seasonings and preparations. Home cooks and professional chefs alike favor it, whether for a classic herb rub or tangy BBQ sauce. Baked chicken breast, a satisfying meal, has endured and thrived through time.
Baked Chicken Breast RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
Juicy Baked Chicken Breast: A Simple and Delicious Recipe for Tender Chicken.
🍗 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
🍶 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
🧂 1 teaspoon sea salt
🌶️ 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
🌶️ 1/2 teaspoon paprika
🧄 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
🌿 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
🌿 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Optional: lemon wedges 🍋, fresh herbs (such as parsley or basil) for garnish🌟
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Make sure the oven is fully heated before placing the chicken inside.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. This helps the seasoning to adhere better and promotes even cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine the sea salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, and dried thyme to create a seasoning mixture.
- Brush both sides of each chicken breast with the extra-virgin olive oil. This adds moisture and helps the seasoning stick to the chicken.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts. Rub the seasoning into the meat to ensure full coverage.
- If time permits, you can let the chicken breasts marinate in the seasoning for about 15-30 minutes. This allows the flavors to infuse the meat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it. Place the seasoned chicken breasts on the baking sheet, leaving space between each piece.
- Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven. Bake the chicken breasts for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- To check for doneness, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of a chicken breast. Ensure it reaches the recommended internal temperature.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. If desired, garnish with lemon wedges and fresh herbs like parsley or basil. This adds a burst of freshness and color.
- Serve the baked chicken breasts with your choice of side dishes. They pair wonderfully with roasted vegetables, salads, or grains.
- For a better version, marinate the chicken breasts in the seasoning mixture for at least 30 minutes before baking for enhanced flavor.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Please note that these values are approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients and brands used:
➤ Show Full Nutrition Label
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories235
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 663mg 28%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
- Sugars 0g
- Protein 21g 42%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tips and Tricks for Baked Chicken Breast
🌿 For added flavor, marinate the seasoning mixture with the chicken breasts for a minimum of 30 minutes before baking.
🔥 To prevent dryness, ensure not to overcook chicken breasts. Employ a meat thermometer to verify doneness.
🥗 Pair the chicken breasts with roasted vegetables or a salad to create a wholesome and balanced meal.
🍱 Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat either in the oven or microwave.
Serving Suggestions for Baked Chicken Breast
Here are some of my personal favorite serving suggestions for oven-baked chicken breast:
🍗🥕🥦🍠 Serve the chicken breasts with a side of roasted vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, or sweet potatoes. The vegetables can be seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil before roasting.
🥗🍀 Make a salad by tossing some mixed greens with a simple vinaigrette dressing and serving it alongside the chicken breasts.
🍚🌾 Cook some rice, quinoa, or couscous as a side dish and serve it with the baked chicken. The grains can be flavored with herbs, spices, or lemon juice to complement the chicken seasoning.
🍯 Drizzle some balsamic glaze over the chicken breasts before serving for an extra burst of flavor.
🥪🍅🥬🍅 Make a sandwich by slicing the baked chicken breasts and placing them between two slices of bread with some lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
🍛🍲 Serve the chicken with a creamy sauce or dip, such as tzatziki, hummus, or aioli, for a delicious twist.
🍆🌶️🍽️ Grill some sliced zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers and serve them alongside the chicken for a Mediterranean-inspired meal.
Storage Tips for Baked Chicken Breast
To store the leftover baked chicken breast, follow these steps:
🌡️ Let the chicken cool down to room temperature before storing it.
🛍️ Store the chicken in an airtight container or resealable bag.
🗒️ Label the container or bag with the date and contents.
🌡️❄️Store the chicken in the refrigerator or freezer.
🕒🧊 In the refrigerator, leftover baked chicken can be stored for up to 4 days. If you want to keep it for longer, you can store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat the leftover oven-baked chicken breast, follow these steps:🍗🔥
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator or freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight (if frozen). ❄️🌡️
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). 🌡️🔥
Place the chicken in a baking dish and cover it with foil to prevent it from drying out. 🍽️🥘
Bake the chicken for approximately 15-20 minutes or until it heats through. To confirm thorough heating, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest chicken breast part. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). 🕒🌡️🍗🌡️
Alternatively, you can reheat the chicken in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate. Cover it with a damp paper towel and heat it on high for 1-2 minutes, or until it is heated through. 🍗🔥🔌🍽️🧻
For extra juicy and tender chicken breasts, brine them in a saltwater solution before seasoning and baking. To brine the chicken, dissolve 1/4 cup of salt in 4 cups of water and immerse the chicken breasts in the solution for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. Rinse the chicken thoroughly with cold water and pat it dry before seasoning and baking. Brining helps to infuse the chicken with flavor and moisture, resulting in a more succulent and flavorful dish. It is an optional step, but highly recommended for the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
It usually takes about 20-25 minutes to cook oven-baked chicken breasts at 400°F (200°C). However, cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts.
Yes, you can use bone-in chicken breasts for this baked chicken breast recipe, but you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Yes, you can use different spices to season the chicken breasts according to your preference. Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to find your favorite combination.
Yes, you can prepare the chicken breasts in advance by seasoning them and refrigerating them until ready to bake. However, for best results, it’s recommended to bake the chicken within 24 hours of seasoning.
To prevent the chicken from drying out, it’s important not to overcook it. Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure that it reaches 165°F (74°C) without going over. Also, make sure to cover the chicken with foil while baking to prevent it from drying out.
Yes, leftover baked chicken breast can be frozen for up to 2-3 months in an airtight container or resealable bag. To reheat, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through.